Belgium authorities have mentioned in a statement that six people had died after a car ploughed into a crowd waiting to attend a carnival in the town of Strepy-Bracquegnies on Sunday.

As per Jacques Gobert, mayor of the neighbouring town La Louviere said, “A car drove from the back at high speed. And we have a few dozen injured and, unfortunately, several people killed.”

Advertisement

Prosecutor Damien Verheyen mentioned 26 people were injured, and ten were in serious condition.

According to the reports, the incident took place early morning, around 5 AM, during a traditional carnival ceremony.

The reports further quoted Gobert as saying that around 150 people had gathered to ready for the annual folklore parade, involving costumes and drums.

Meanwhile, Verheyen added, “At this stage, there are no elements to suggest that the attack had a terrorist motive.”

At the same time, police officials have refused earlier reports showing that the car was involved in a high-speed chase.

Moreover, the driver and another man who were in the car have been nabbed. They are from the area and were not previously known to the police.

Advertisement

Locals stated, “Many of those injured were taken to a hospital in La Louviere, which is now in the pre-alert phase.”

At the same time, the Interior Minister of Belgium, Annelies Verlinden, expressed her condolences to the bereaved families of those who have been killed or injured.

“What was supposed to have been a great party turned into a tragedy. We are monitoring the situation closely,” she said in a tweet.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here