There have been around 130 people rescued so far from the remains of a theatre that was being used as a shelter in the besieged city of Mariupol when it was destroyed in a Russian strike, says a Ukrainian official.
Ukrainian human rights commissioner, Lyudmyla Denisova, has said that rescue operation is going on as some 1,300 people are still believed to be trapped inside.
As per the officials, there has been no casualty reported yet.
On Friday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenkyy has also made an announcement that over 130 people had been saved after the bombing of a theatre in the port city of Mariupol, besieged by the Russian military but that ‘hundreds” were still trapped inside the remains.
President Zelenskyy mentioned in a video address on Facebook, “More than 130 people have been saved. But hundreds of Mariupol residents are still beneath the rubble.”
As per the officials, the majority of those in the building at the time of the Russian airstrike is thought to have been in an underground bomb shelter.
Satellite imagery from Monday showed huge white letters on the ground in front of and behind the theatre spelling out “CHILDREN” in Russian in an attempt to alert enemy forces.