The Parent Trap is an American romantic comedy film released in 1998.It was co-written and directed by Nancy Meyers. Moreover, Charles Shyer produced and co-wrote the film. Also, the film has a sequel of the same-named, which came out in 1961. It is also an adaptation of Erich Kästner’s German novel “Lottie and Lisa”, released in 1949. (Das doppelte Lottchen).
The Parent Trap: Production
The screenplay for the original 1961 film was written by David Swift, based on “Lottie and Lisa”. Moreover, the plot is similar to that of Deanna Durbin’s 1936 film “Three Smart Girls”. Other than that, on the 1998 edition, Swift, Meyers, and Shyer are listed as co-writers.
Lindsay Lohan portrays eleven-year-old twin sisters Hallie Parker and Annie James, who were separated at birth. As a result, they were raised separately after their parents’ divorce, with no knowledge of each other’s life. Finally, they meet by chance at summer camp. Lohan’s acting double for the scenes in which the twins appear together was Erin Mackey.
Cast of The Parent Trap
- Dennis Quaid as Nicholas “Nick” Parker, Annie and Hallie’s father.
- Natasha Richardson plays Annie and Hallie’s mum, Elizabeth “Liz” James.
- Elaine Hendrix as Meredith Blake, a 26-year-old child-hating publicist.
- Lisa Ann Walter as Chessy, Nick’s housekeeper and Hallie’s nanny.
- Martin, the butler of the James family, is played by Simon Kunz.
- Polly Holliday as Marva Kulp Sr., the owner and operator of Camp Walden.
- Maggie Wheeler plays Marva Kulp Jr., the daughter and assistant of Marva Sr.
- Ronnie Stevens plays Charles James, Elizabeth’s rich father and maternal grandfather to Annie and Hallie.
- Vicki Blake, Meredith’s girlfriend, is played by Joanna Barnes.
- Les Blake, Meredith’s father, is played by J. Patrick McCormack.
When was the film released?
The Parent Trap was released on July 29, 1998. Certainly, it became a box office hit. Above all, the film grossed $92.1 million against a budget of $15 million. On the other hand, it was well-received by critics, with Lohan’s performance in particular receiving high praise.